My friend and I were talking the other day about things that people have asked us that they just shouldn't. We wondered why this was so and came up with two really good reasons. 1. They've known you all your life and expect some sort of free pass to get all up in your business, 2. They just don't know any better. So, to honor that conversation, here's a list of things you should NEVER ask.
1. When is your baby due? You never ask this unless the person has brought up the fact that they are pregnant. Could lead to serious embarassment.
2. When are you getting married/ Why aren't you married yet? A snappy come back: All the guys that I date kind of freak out when I turn into a werewolf at the full moon, it's a little off-putting. Serious note here: People that aren't married might not want to BE married, leave them alone.
3. When are you having another child? Serious note on this one: Again, it's none of your business, don't ask, it could be very painful. I can't think of a snappy comeback that's not really offensive so I'll pass on that one.
4. Is that your natural hair color? Snappy comeback: That's between me and Ms. Clairol.
5. You used to be so cute, why don't you lose some weight? Snappy comeback: We've been commanded to have a years supply of food, I just carry mine with me. Where's yours?
6. What happened? These two words can be tacked on to the end of any phrase and it becomes something you never say. Example: You were so cute as a baby, what happened? Snappy comeback: Life.
7. Are you wearing that? Snappy comeback: Apparently so unless it's clothing optional.
So people, the point is to think before we speak. I have been known to blurt things out only to wish that there was something in front of my face to catch my words but I'm trying to do better. We never know someone else's circumstances so unless they bring up the subject, it's better not to ask.
***Disclaimer (read in that car dealership mumble at the end): This is not meant to offend anyone, just bring to light something that happens. Please remember, the cone of safety is in place.
Y'all have a great weekend!