Thursday, October 23, 2008
Now, back to our regularly scheduled program: The ABCs of M-E.
A. Attached or single? Attached
B. Best friend? My husband - Mike
C. Cake or Pie? Cake - Yellow cake with chocolate frosting
D. Day of Choice? Saturday
E. Essential item? books. Lots and lots and lots of books
F. Favorite color? cranberry red
G. Gummy bears or worms? Bears, I like to bite their little heads off and then put one color head on a different colored body. Strange I know.
H. Hometown? Elgin
I. Indulgence? See E
J. January or July? July
K. Kids? Two
L. Life isn’t complete without? my family
M. Marriage date? March 14
N. Number of brothers and sisters? 1 younger brother
O. Oranges or apples? Oranges
P. Phobias? Too many to name, I'm a scaredy wimp.
Q. Quotes? My new favorite is: "Trouble knocked at the door, but, hearing laughter, hurried away"— Benjamin Franklin This is how I feel most days :"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."— Marilyn Monroe And to answer your question, Mike does handle me at my worst.
R. Reasons to smile? My husband loves me!
S. Season of Choice? Spring
T. Tag some people: Connie, Crystal and Anita
U. Unknown fact about me? I'm an open book
V. Vegetable? I love most all veggies
W. Worst habit? I bite my fingernails
X. X-ray or Ultrasound? Neither, that would mean something was wrong.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Every Sunday on our way to church, we listen to some sort of church music (hoping to get everyone reverent and in the right frame of mind-sometimes it works, other times not so much). Anywho, lately we've been listening to the 2008 YW CD called Steadfast and Immovable. The music is always so moving, but this year, one of the songs hit me very hard and here are the lyrics from Jenny Phillips' website:
To Become Like Him
Jenny Phillips/Tyler Castleton
You look around you
And you wonder if you’ll measure up
In this world it seems you may never be enough
Don’t let anyone convince you that it’s true
So much beauty lives inside of you
And you are enough
Just look up
Remember you are greatest
When you walk with God
When His light is in your eyes
You are truly strong
You don’t have to prove your beauty
In the eyes of men
You are divine within
You were sent here to become like Him
When you’re uncertain
Of the place you hold and who you are inside
He will share with you your part in His design
Seek for His meekness
Seek to emulate His life
And you will feel Him always by your side
You have His love
Just look up
Holiness, love, good works, mercy
To be like Him
Charity, hope, truth, and wisdom
To be like Him
ChorusI think this is definitely inspired, not just for the youth and the YW, but for all of us. We are enough, we have our Heavenly Father's love, we don't have to prove anything to man, we are divine.
Just a thought---peace and love y'all
Friday, October 10, 2008
What did I do you ask? I have no clue. We were supposed to have a department picture (spur of the moment type thing apparently) and I don't know why everyone chose to come to my office to be around MY desk. I do know that I moved out of MY chair when people came behind me and touched me-those are big no nos in the Book of Kristi. My friend here explained that I do not like people behind me (even the boss won't stand behind me). Let me explain about that whole issue, most of you know that I don't like to be touched by people I don't know, I'm not a touchy feely person, never have been, never will. I don't like people hovering over me because it just bugs me to death. But I digress. After a bit, when it was determined that maybe another time would be better, some people had left, I was back at my desk doing my work and my phone rings. Everyone still in my office continues to talk at top volume and I tell them "Y'all!" and make go away motions w/ my hands. I can't hear or concentrate when people are talking and I'm already on the phone. Maybe this is what set her off, I don't know.
Do I care? Not really. Why am I writing about it? Because I had forgotten for a moment that people take offense at the smallest thing. MY DH heard something at stake conference one time like you choose to be offended. I may have lost my membership in the Epitome of Sweetness and Light club.
Whatever. I'm going to the fair tonight! I'm taking my camera so hopefully I'll get some interesting pictures of the craziness that is the fair. BTW, I got my hair chopped off a la Katie Holmes so maybe there will be a picture of me as well but I'm not promising anything.
Y'all have a great weekend, I'm ready for some fair food!
Peace and love y'all
Thursday, October 2, 2008
So, here's my list of fall loves:
1. The state fair. Yes, I'm a people watcher and that's the best place to watch the wackos that inhabit the great state of SC. Also the fair food. I don't ride anything (hello, you put it up and take it down in a matter of days, it can't be all that safe), but I will eat until my little heart's content. This brings up a funny memory, Anita, do you remember the chicken gyro burps?
2. Sweaters. I LOVE sweaters, they are my most favorite article of clothing. If I could buy nothing but sweaters I would. Sweatshirts are nice too but I really have a thing for sweaters. This is a perfect segue into....
3. Boots. I'm rather short so any height is a good thing. I need a new pair of boots this year but will never be able to find any as comfy or cool as my old boots (and I got them on sale).
4. The colors. Red, orange, yellow, brown leaves. I'm always on the lookout for bright leaves. There's a tree in our little town that turns the most vibrant shade of yellow every year. I'm always so happy to see that tree when it turns. It's like the trees are giving us one last little cheer before going to sleep for the winter. I also look better in fall colors but that's another issue.
5. Hot chocolate. There is nothing better than getting a big mug of mint hot chocolate (with whipped cream) and a book and reading in front of the fire.
6. The stars. Once the haze of summer leaves, you can see the stars so much better at night. You really get a feeling of smallness when you think of all of the planets and stars that God created, it's a source of amazement to me.
7. General Conference. This used to be an excuse to stay home and do nothing on a Sunday (which feels kind of odd), but now as I grow older, it's a time to learn something and spend time with the family. Of course, we're horrible parents because we make the kids sit through at least one session which is torture to a certain 8 year old boy that I know whose first name starts with "J".
8. Blankets. I'm always cold so blankets are a plentiful thing in my house. I love to snuggle up in a blanket and watch tv, read, stare at nothing in particular.
9. The holidays. Halloween and Thanksgiving, gotta love them. Some people have issues with Halloween but I've always loved it because you get candy for minimal effort. We are always at the trunk or treat at church and all the kids have to do is keep going from car to car to car until the candy runs out. My kids then are on a sugar high until Easter (another high sugar holiday). Thanksgiving is my most favorite holiday of the year, again, very little stress but good things abound. It's a time for me to think back on the year, before the Christmas chaos begins and really appreciate what I've been blessed with. Also, going to granny's house: mac and cheese, chicken and dumplings, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs....I can't go on, I'm drooling.
What is your favorite thing about fall? Let me know.
Peace and love y'all!