Thursday, October 2, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

This morning was chaos. I was sleeping peacefully, just beginning to wake up when Sally jumped on my head (her oh so lovable way of telling me it's time to go outside), and I realized it was a little too bright to be the normal waking hour. I looked at the clock, 7:00!!!! After much running and stress, Jared and I finally headed out the front door only to go right back in and get jackets. Fall has arrived!! I love what I call the "in- between seasons", fall and spring. It's not too cold or too hot, just right for doing whatever you want to do. I love spring because everything turns green and the trees bloom and it starts getting warm. I love fall because the leaves turn and the weather starts getting cool.

So, here's my list of fall loves:

1. The state fair. Yes, I'm a people watcher and that's the best place to watch the wackos that inhabit the great state of SC. Also the fair food. I don't ride anything (hello, you put it up and take it down in a matter of days, it can't be all that safe), but I will eat until my little heart's content. This brings up a funny memory, Anita, do you remember the chicken gyro burps?

2. Sweaters. I LOVE sweaters, they are my most favorite article of clothing. If I could buy nothing but sweaters I would. Sweatshirts are nice too but I really have a thing for sweaters. This is a perfect segue into....

3. Boots. I'm rather short so any height is a good thing. I need a new pair of boots this year but will never be able to find any as comfy or cool as my old boots (and I got them on sale).

4. The colors. Red, orange, yellow, brown leaves. I'm always on the lookout for bright leaves. There's a tree in our little town that turns the most vibrant shade of yellow every year. I'm always so happy to see that tree when it turns. It's like the trees are giving us one last little cheer before going to sleep for the winter. I also look better in fall colors but that's another issue.

5. Hot chocolate. There is nothing better than getting a big mug of mint hot chocolate (with whipped cream) and a book and reading in front of the fire.

6. The stars. Once the haze of summer leaves, you can see the stars so much better at night. You really get a feeling of smallness when you think of all of the planets and stars that God created, it's a source of amazement to me.

7. General Conference. This used to be an excuse to stay home and do nothing on a Sunday (which feels kind of odd), but now as I grow older, it's a time to learn something and spend time with the family. Of course, we're horrible parents because we make the kids sit through at least one session which is torture to a certain 8 year old boy that I know whose first name starts with "J".

8. Blankets. I'm always cold so blankets are a plentiful thing in my house. I love to snuggle up in a blanket and watch tv, read, stare at nothing in particular.

9. The holidays. Halloween and Thanksgiving, gotta love them. Some people have issues with Halloween but I've always loved it because you get candy for minimal effort. We are always at the trunk or treat at church and all the kids have to do is keep going from car to car to car until the candy runs out. My kids then are on a sugar high until Easter (another high sugar holiday). Thanksgiving is my most favorite holiday of the year, again, very little stress but good things abound. It's a time for me to think back on the year, before the Christmas chaos begins and really appreciate what I've been blessed with. Also, going to granny's house: mac and cheese, chicken and dumplings, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs....I can't go on, I'm drooling.

What is your favorite thing about fall? Let me know.

Peace and love y'all!

5 comments:

Alona said...

Fall and Spring are also my fav. seasons. Both have such beautiful colors that come along with them. Fall colors are then best. I LOVE wearing jeans and long sleeves. That is the best.
Oh and Sally was doing her job to say HEY MOM, YOU ARE LATE!!!
Gotta love puppy alarms.

Anonymous said...

Football and My birthday!

Crystal said...

I love the fall also. I prefer to not shave my legs all the time and do not have to when I wear long pants! Yeah Fall!

Connie said...

I love the cool, crisp air. Apple cider. Apples are in season. Riding to the "mountains" to see the leaves and get fresh apple cider! Sweaters! I don't like coats. or Sweaters and hand knit scarves. watching leaves swirl around. Maybe I should have my own Autumn post! :)

Anonymous said...

Amen to all of the above. Hmmm.I'm wondering if I can persuade DH to go to the mountains for an overnight romantic getaway this weekend.

Has anyone mentioned the get togethers with family and friends and the absolutely mouth watering food???? I love sweet potato souffle, turkey, and my mother's dressing recipe.