Today I decided to put down some random thoughts that I've been having lately. This is always fraught with peril, but here we go....
1. Watched conference on Sat/Sun and was amazed. How cool was it when we all stood as groups and as a general membership of the church to sustain Pres. Monson? For me, knowing that there were 13 million of us standing at one time to sustain that wonderful man gave me THE SHIVERS (for all of you in book club, read that in an Owen Meany voice). Also while listening to the talks, some of them were for me. I've never seen both days (I know, I'm a slacker) but it was actually really cool.
2. Finished my book club book earlier in the week. Thanks Michelle for picking that book (no, I'm not being sarcastic). It got me to thinking, Owen Meany believes that he's an instrument from God, but aren't we all in some way? We are sent from Heavenly Father for a divine purpose, we may not save anyone's life, but we all are part of a plan.
3. Read an article yesterday that made me want to scream with rage. It was about this documentary filmmaker that goes and interviews soldiers in the Congo about the raping of women there during the civil war and strife going on in that country. These men believed-HONESTLY BELIEVED-that if they raped a woman it would give them special "magic" to defeat their enemies. I've tried to find the article but now I can't remember where I read it, but you can read about the documentary, called The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo on the net and on HBO's website.
4. After reading about the documentary, went online to LDS Humanitarian Services to learn a bit about what they give money to. They spend billions of dollars a year on every continent helping people with water, humanitarian packages, the whole school supply thing, etc.
Now for the light and silly:
5. Why is there so much flippin' traffic on I-20 when I'm trying to go to work? It drives me insane(r). This morning as I was getting on the interstate I heard that there was an accident at Clemson Rd backing up to Pontiac. After sitting in the parking lot that used to be I-20 at Pontiac, decided the better part of valor was to get off and hop back on at Alpine. Well, wouldn't you know that there was a backup on 277 as well? So, 20 minutes late for work but luckily no one else is there at that time and I can sneak in.
6. Will Edward change Bella or will Bella change her mind and go with Jacob? If you haven't read the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer, you have no idea what I'm talking about but you need to read it. Wonderful, lovely books. I'm on the fence about the whole Edward/Bella/Jacob triangle. It drives me crazy.
7. That brings up a thought---libraries in the spirit world, got to have books for the eternities! I know that we'll be busy and all that, but we do need some downtime.
8. Kiersten will be 12 in a matter of 12 days, this is a traumatic experience for me, but she's excited.
I can't think of anything else right now. See y'all later