Thursday, April 30, 2009

Everyone has a story...

I'm a people watcher (welcome to the new support group, People Watchers Anonymous), I am also nosy. I learned quite early in life that if you sit quietly for long enough, older people forget that you're there and that's when you can pick up the most interesting tidbits of news. My favorite places to watch people are: the airport (there's a lot of love at the baggage claim), in the car (apparently people think once they get in their car they're invisible), and walking around a different place. My DH is also a people watcher but we're watching for different things. He watches, I think, to see what kind of craziness will come along. I watch and try to figure out the stories behind the people (inner nosiness you know).

Last month, Jared and I dropped my mother off at the airport for her first plane trip to visit Ervins the Younger. It's always so sad to see someone off at the airport-I've done it quite a few times, being the one left behind. You're excited for them, worried (that whole plane crash thing), and in this case, J and I were thinking we would love to be a fly on the wall with mom's first flight. I knew that when mom got to her destination, there would be hugs and kisses and general mayhem at the baggage claim and that would be a good thing. Jared and I wondered where people were going and why, if they were going for fun or a "have to" trip.

Mike and I recently went to Savannah for our annual anniversary trip. I fell in love with that city! On Friday we sat for hours on the river and watched people as they walked along the river front. We saw young couples, mature couples, families, street entertainers, multitudes of dogs and a few Girl Scouts. I wondered about the stories of those couples and families. On Saturday, we took a tour-no Connie, no ghost hunting for us, and walked about 3000 miles. We watched our first rugby game in Forsyth Park, saw a bunch of Savannah College of Art and Design students, more dogs. I loved the squares, the city market, all of the stores. Mike fell in love with the candy stores and especially the pralines. We plan to go back and if I were rich instead of the epitome of sweetness and light, I wouldn't mind living there. I made the observation while there that I didn't see any jaywalkers, everyone at the crosswalks waited patiently until the light turned which was fascinating to me. Mike made the observation that we didn't see very many police cars or policemen. Savannah seems to be full of interesting stories.

As I was coming to work this a.m., I noticed a person in the car ahead of me apparently having some sort of fit. Then I realized they were just really into their music. I also saw people from out of town crossing 2 lanes of traffic trying to get into Ft. Jackson and blocking the road for everyone behind them. I also saw the people downtown, a man in a wheelchair (I made sure to watch until he crossed safely and was on the sidewalk), a lady that got out of her car at the stoplight to get something out of her trunk (what was so important I wonder). I also see people coming to my office and to the unemployment office across the street and wonder about their stories.

Sometimes I think about my personal story (from my perspective of course), and think it's not too bad.

Peace and love y'all!

5 comments:

Connie said...

I personally think the ghosts would be more benign than "Mike's Aliens" You have a wonderful story and I love hearing it unfold.
Plus you are pretty dang funny too.

scchesleys said...

LOL!!! I'm with you about the ghosts. They don't take you up in a spaceship and do weird stuff to you.

Anonymous said...

I love Savannah too. My daughter Carrie lives about 20 miles away in Rincon, and I'm hoping that we'll get to cruise over to Savannah for a couple of hours when I'm visiting her next week. I'm glad you got to get away for an anniversary celebration.

Anita said...

Now I'm wondering how many people are watching me car dance... Maybe I should tone it down a little? Nah!

Alyssa said...

I love people watching. Often, my mom and I will go shopping just to watch the people and all of the silly things they do. And I do so love how people think they are invisible when they are in their cars.....but I'm also guilty of that every once and again.