Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympic thoughts

Every four years, the Olympics come around, I get little to no sleep and learn a great deal about obscure sports. I also get to watch from the comfyness of my own home (usually my own bed) new world records set, amazing feats of stamina or lessons in endurance. I love to watch swimming, diving, gymnastics and my new favorite, beach volleyball. Some standout moments for me that I have either seen or read about:



Holy Fireworks Batman!!! I know that China is the birthplace of fireworks, but man, that was SOOOO cool. I understand that some of them might have been digitized for the viewing audience but still.



All those little boxes that moved around had people in them!!! I was amazed and sat on my couch for a few minutes in awe.



Unless you've been under a rock the past few weeks, you've heard about Mr. Phelps. In our house, we've been stressed out and totally blown away by this young man. The relay where Jason Lezak found some fountain of speed and blow past some Frenchman for the gold medal. The race that almost killed my poor hubby was the one just a few nights ago where Phelps won by 1/100th of a second.



Dara Torres-the 41 year old mom of a 2 year old in her 5th Olympics. What most impressed me about her is her sportsmanship. A few nights ago as we were watching a relay, one of another country's team had a swimsuit issue. Ms. Torres went over to the judge, told her and then the whole race waited for this swimmer to come back out and the race continued.



One question---why do the men get to wear shorts and t-shirts but the women wear those littlish bikinis? Anyway, I'm the newest fan of beach volleyball. It moves alot faster I think than regular volleyball (what can I say-short attention span).

A story that I read today really touched me and I had heard about it from some of the YW at Stake Conference yesterday. A marathoner ended up getting hamstring issues only a few miles from where the finish line was. Instead of pulling completely out of the race, she continued on. Of course, she didn't win, but she wasn't last either, she kept going even though she was in pain and had to stop several times. This is a true example of enduring to the end.

So everyone, if you see me around and I look a little bleary and tired, now you know the reason. The kids started school today so I'll report tomorrow hopefully.

Peace and love y'all!

5 comments:

Fahner said...

Since you are staying up til the wee hours I will just get my updates from you because I need my sleep. Thank you for the sacrifice you are making to support our olympians.

scchesleys said...

It's a sacrifice I know, but someone has to do it. Have you seen the male gymnasts? Holy crow!! I did end up going to bed early on Monday-too dang tired to stay awake any longer.

Connie said...

Michael Phelps is astonishing. Thank goodness for electronic touchpads b/c I thought for a minute they were going to allow "the protest"! Did you see the amazing Tai Chi at the opening ceremony. That was awesome.

scchesleys said...

I've got a whole bunch of stuff on the DVR that needs watching, including a good bit of the opening ceremonies.

Anonymous said...

I have been watching and dvr'ing the stuff. I still think atleast 2 of the chinese women gymanasts are no older than 10 but what can you do? One had a baby tooth...I swear it!